CHICKPEAS WITH CABBAGE AND ONIONS
1. Soak 1/2 cup of chickpeas with a 1" strip of kombu for six
to eight hours or overnight.
2. Dice about 1/3 cup of carrots and 1/3 cup of onions.
3. Place kombu on the bottom of the pressure cooker and place chickpeas
on top. Add approximately three cups water (you may use the soaking
4. First bring the contents to a boil without a lid, reduce the flame,
and cook for about 30 minutes without a lid. Discard any foam that
may rise to the surface.
5. Cover the pressure cooker and bring to pressure on a low flame.
Cook with low pressure for approximately 40 minutes.
6. Allow the pressure to completely reduce and remove the cover.
7. Remove the beans and layer the carrots and onions on the bottom
of the pot. Place the beans on top of the vegetables.
8. Bring to a boil, cover with a heavy regular lid. It is better not
to pressure cook the vegetables. Reduce the heat and cook on a medium
flame for about one hour until the beans are about 80% done.
9. Add a pinch of sea salt and continue cooking until the beans are
well done but not mushy and most of the liquid has evaporated.
10. Transfer to a serving dish.
BASIC BLACK SOYBEANS
1. Wash one cup of black soybeans with cold water. Cover the beans
with approximately three cups of water. Soak for six to eight hours
2. Discard the soaking water.
3. Place the beans in a pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to
a boil, reduce the flame to low and simmer without a cover. Skim and
discard the black foam that floats to the surface.
4. When foam no longer floats to the surface, cover and cook for approximately
2-1/2 hours or until beans are about 90% done. If more water is needed
during the cooking time, gently add it along the sides of the pot.
5. Remove the cover and add a small amount of shoyu/soy sauce that
will give the beans a shiny black appearance. Shake the pot gently
to mix the beans with the juice and say sauce, but do mix with a spoon.
6. Continue cooking until beans are soft and most of the remaining
liquid has evaporated.
7. Transfer to a serving dish.
DARK GREEN LENTIL STEW
1 c dark green lentils
1/2 c each of onion, carrots, celery
2-1/2 c water
1/4 t sea salt
1. Wash lentils. Cut onions, carrots, celery into small pieces.
Layer them in the pot, placing the lentils on top.
2. Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce flame to medium-low.
After 30 minutes, add sea salt and cook another 15-20 minutes. Remove
cover and allow liquid to cook off.